Built for the Commonwealth’s Attorney, Lucien Minor in the 1830’s, the Crank building was used by attorneys until the 1880’s when it was enlarged to twice its original size.
W. Earle Crank took over the building in 1964 for his private law practice; he practiced in the Crank building for 16 years and was Commonwealth’s attorney for 40 years. It was named for Mr. Crank in 1983.
The Louisa County Historical Society took over the renovation of the building in 1995. The older part of the building has been restored as it would have been in the 1830’s by C. Champion Bowles.